How to Get a Pennsylvania Insurance License
|Pennsylvania Insurance Department||Testing Provider (PSI)|
|(717) 787-3840||(800) 733-9267|
1. Schedule and Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
- Online: www.psiexams.com
- Phone: (800) 733-9267
- Fax completed Registration Form to (702) 932-2666 and call PSI after 4 business days.
- Mail completed Registration Form and appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration PA INS, 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. After 2 weeks, call PSI to schedule the exam at (800) 733-9267.
What to Bring
One form of current signature identification:
- A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
You will be required to supply a copy of your Pre-licensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
- Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
- No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
- Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
- No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
- Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
- You may not exit the building during the exam.
- Copying or communicating exam content is a violation of PSI security policy. Either may result in the disqualification of exam results and lead to legal action and prosecution.
PSI exam sites have additional procedures:
- You will have your picture taken prior to admittance into the exam.
- You may not wear a jacket, coat or any type of hooded clothing into the exam room. Sweaters that do not have pockets are allowed.
- You may not bring a purse or backpack into the exam room.
- You will be asked to put these items in your vehicle. PSI only provides accordion type folders for any items. These folders are left in the lobby and PSI is not responsible for the security of those items.
- You may not wear a wristwatch into the exam room and you will be asked to empty your pockets.
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The exam consists of two parts:
- The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
- The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Pennsylvania
- Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
- If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion.
- If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on an exam results letter.
|Pennsylvania Exam Information|
|Exam Code||Exam Name||Exam Time||Total Questions|
|16-01||Producer’s Life Insurance||2 hrs||100|
|16-03||Producer’s Life, Accident and Health Insurance||2 hrs 50 min||150|
2. Apply for License and Get Fingerprinted
After passing the exam, apply for your license at the kiosk in the testing center. You will need to pay both the license application fee and the fingerprinting fee at this time. As part of the application process, a “live scan” will be taken of your fingerprints. The application and fingerprint results will be forwarded on to the Department for processing. The Department strongly suggests that you complete the paper application (found online at www.insurance.pa.gov) prior to your exam to use as a reference.
You will be required to return to a PSI testing facility for fingerprinting if you leave the testing facility without applying for your license, and you must show a copy of the application confirmation page at your fingerprinting appointment.
3. Print Your License
You can check the status of your application at www.insurance.pa.gov. Once your license has been issued, you may also print off your license from the website.